These are the instructions for the SO1 and are here for historical reasons only.
If you are building an SO2, please see the instructions at http://docs.shapeoko.com/
- 1 Potential Vendors
- 2 Bill of Materials
While a number of components are specialty items, many are commodity parts which may be available at mainstream vendors. Some potential vendors include:
International / U.S. / Internet
- Makerslide Europe
- Reactive Substance
- MixShop (Canada)
- accora (Canada)
- Phidgets (Canada)
- Go Tronic (France)
- Thingibox (Spain)
- Oriental Motor Co., Ltd (Japan, but offices pretty much world-wide)
- Zapp Automation (UK)
- RobotDigg (China) --- Notable for having motors w/ Acme screw shafts and other custom parts
- dumpsterCNC --- ACME, UN and Metric Components, Trapezoidal Parts, Clamp-on Couplers; and Shaft Collars
- Evil Mad Scientist --- DIY and open source hardware
Specialty hardware stores
- Misumi U.S.
- VXB (bearings)
- FScoupling.com (flexible shaft and other couplings)
- HPC (Europe) --- site is available in English, French and Italian
- B&B Manufacturing --- Timing Belt Pulleys & Timing Belts
- Biedler's Belts --- GT2 belts
- Ace Hardware --- check for a store local to you
- True Value --- check for a store local to you
- Home Depot --- the "ship-to-store" option is useful for parts not available locally and doesn't incur shipping charges
- Radio Shack
- DigiKey (Canada)
- Soigeneris --- also carries milling bits, and other mill and lathe supplies , as well as software
- Harvey Tool --- site has an option for finding a local distributor
- Garr Tool Company
- Tools Today
- RobbJack --- very nice interface for selecting bits --- product pages include basic feed/speed data
- Micro-Mark --- Milling Machine Only Tooling --- a model-making tool company, they have a number of small specialty bits well-suited for use on small mills, including some very affordable fly-cutters for surfacing a spoil board or stock.
- LakeShore Carbide.com --- Full selection of U.S. made, quality end mills at reasonable prices
- Sorotec (Germany)
- End Mill 1-Flute lapped Ø3,0mm Z1
- 30 degree angle x 1/4" carbide bits engraving and scoring tools --- engraving in aluminum, note it is a 1/4" shank and I use a Dewalt DW 660 
- (5) 1/8" (.1250") 2 FLUTE CARBIDE ENDMILLS - NEW 
- Garr Tool Series 620MEDP#41030 1/8"x3x1" --- excellent quality, long narrow bit w/ a long cutting length which makes workholding and fixturing much easier, and puts making through cuts (w/ many passes) on 1" material feasible.
Strategizing on purchases so as to save on shipping and handling is a useful technique to help keep expenses in check.
If all else fails, many items are available on eBay, or Amazon.
There is a separate list of specific vendors on the Upgrade Overview page.
Specialty Local Vendors
Please list specialty local vendors which don't have a sales presence on the internet below by their geography.
- Pacific Fasteners Ltd. --- Burnaby, BC, Canada, locations in Vancouver, Toronto and Seattle
- United Kingdom
- Clerkenwell Screws --- 109 Clerkenwell Road, Clerkenwell London, EC1R 5BY
- United States
Bill of Materials
Please note that this is for the original ShapeOko and has not yet been up-dated for the new SO2. When that is done, this page should be archived under SO1 build instructions. There is a B.O.M. for the SO2 in the blog announcement.
There is also a B.O.M. on the site kitbom.
Complete details for each component can be found at Parts.
Mechanical, Motion and Structural (including spindle)
|Item||Est. Cost||Part Num.||Qty||Vendor||Stock Num.||Title||Link|
|1||$4.85||MSK01-05||16||Specialty Vendors||25203-02||V Wheel||Inventables Makerslide|
|2||$1.50||MSK01-07||40||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25196-01||5mm x 16mm x 5mm bearing||Inventables VXB MakerSlide Europe|
|3||$0.20||MSK01-08||20||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25201-01||Precision (Shim) Washer (1mm thick)||Inventables|
|4||$2.00||MSK01-06||4||Specialty Vendors||25197-02||Smooth Idler Drum||Inventables Makerslide Makerslide Europe|
|5||$5.00||SM-S01||3||Specialty Vendors||SM-S01||Mount Plate||Mechanical Kit at Inventables Upgraded Shapeoko Motor Mount|
|6||$0.09||SM-H08||16||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25285-05||M5 x 30mm SHCS||Inventables Boltmax|
|7||$2.00||MSK01-04||8||Specialty Vendors||25195-01||Eccentric Spacer||Inventables Makerslide|
|8||$0.02||SM-H03||103||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25287-01 (qty. 10)||M5 Flat Washer (see Note below)||Amazon Inventables McMaster-Carr|
|9||$0.20||SM-H04||20||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25284-01 (qty. 10)||5mm Hex Nut||Inventables McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr|
|10||$5.50||MSK01-09||2||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25204-02||18 Tooth MXL Timing Pulley w/ 5mm bore||sdp-si Inventables Makerslide MakerSlide Europe|
|11||$15.00 $(16.94)||SM-E01||3||Specialty Vendors, Specialty Electronics||25253-01||NEMA 17 Stepper Motor||Inventables Phidgets Go Tronic Zapp AutomationThingibox|
|12||$0.04||SM-H14||8||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25285-07||M3 x 6mm SHCS||Inventables|
|13||$0.07||SM-H01||6||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25206-01||¼″ Nylon Spacer||Inventables McMaster-Carr MakerSlide Europe|
|14||$0.02||SM-H15||11||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25287-03 (qty. 10)||M3 Flat Washer||Inventables|
|15||$0.22||SM-H09||8||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||varies||M5 x 55mm SHCS||Amazon (not prime) Boltmax|
|16||$0.09||SM-H02||18||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25206-02||3/4" Nylon Spacer||Amazon Inventables McMaster-Carr MakerSlide Europe|
|17||$8.00||MSK01-01||1||Specialty Vendors||25200-01||Standard Carriage Plate||Inventables Makerslide MakerSlide Europe|
|18||$2.50||SM-M08||1||Specialty Vendors||SM-M08||Z-Axis Delrin Lead Nut||Mechanical Kit at Inventables|
|19||$0.06||SM-H07||22||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25285-01||M5 x 10mm SHCS (see Note below)||Inventables Boltmax|
|20||$3.38||MSK01-02||3||Specialty Vendors||25142-08||Makerslide Extrusion - 375mm||Inventables Makerslide Europe|
|21||$0.16||SM-H11||8||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25281-02||Insertion Nut (see Note below)||Inventables Misumi|
|22||$0.27||SM-M05||4||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25302-01||Belt Anchor (Mending brackets / plates usually sold in packs of 2)||Inventables Amazon? McMaster|
|23||$5.00||SM-S06||1||Specialty Vendors||SM-S06||Z-Axis Mount Plate||Mechanical Kit at Inventables|
|24||$0.16||SM-H13||2||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25285-03||M5 x 16mm SHCS||Inventables Boltmax|
|25||$1.00||SM-M07||1||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||varies||8mm x 22mm x 7m Bearing (Z-Axis)||Amazon, 3d-bots|
|26||$0.05||SM-H10||2||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||varies||M8 Thin Hex (Jam) Nut||Amazon Mcmaster|
|27||$5.58||SM-H12||1||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||varies||5mm -- 8mm Coupler||Inventables OpenBuilds, 3d-bots eBay MakerSlide Europe|
|28||$1.00||SM-H05||1||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||99055A125||Threaded Rod 200mm||McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr|
|29||$2.00||MSK01-03||1||Specialty Vendors||25142-07||Makerslide Extrusion - 200mm||Inventables|
|30||$0.20||SM-H06||3||Hardware Stores, Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendors||25285-14||M3 x 50mm SHCS||Amazon Boltmax|
|31||$5.00||SM-TM1||2||Specialty Vendors||SM-TM1||Spindle Retainer Mount||Mechanical Kit at Inventables|
|32||$2.00||SM-TM2||2||Specialty Vendors||SM-TM2||Spindle Retainer Strap||Mechanical Kit at Inventables|
|33||$15.00||SM-TM3||1||Hardware Stores||IEK-17||Rotary (Multi) Tool||Amazon Menards ($20) True Value ($13!) Walmart ($22)|
|34||$5.00||SM-S02||2||Specialty Vendors||SM-S02||Front/Back Plate||No longer available, in favor of the new open end plate design. Shapeoko End Plate (open variant) MakerSlide Europe (open end plates)|
|35||$1.99 / ft.||SM-M04||4 ft.||Specialty Hardware Store, Specialty Vendor||25205-01||MXL Belt||Inventables Makerslide or McMaster MakerSlide Europe|
|36||MDF_Base||1||Hardware Stores||SM-SWB||400mm x 450mm MDF||This will also require hardware --- the Inventables kit uses 4 M5 x 10 screws, 8 M5 washers, 4 M5 nuts, 4 angle brackets and 4 wood screws for fastening the machine to the base.|
Note: In the instructions, 4 each of Items 8, 19 and 21 are used for belt anchoring --- see Belt Anchors for alternatives.
Please note that options for Electronics vary considerably depending on one's choices and needs. The parts shown below are those for a stock ShapeOko using an Arduino and GRBLshield. Please see Advanced Electronics for more information.
|Item||Est. Cost||Part Num.||Qty||Vendor||Stock Num.||Title||Link|
|1||$17||E1||3||Specialty Vendors, Electronics Suppliers||various||Stepper Motors||Inventables Sparkfun.com 3d-bots|
|2||$18||E2||1||Electronics Suppliers||various||24v switching power supply||MPJA.com Jameco 3d-bots Digikey Digikey Canada Reactive Substance Amazon|
|3||$13||E3||3||Specialty Electronics||Stepper Driver||Pololu.com MixShop|
|4||$25||E4||1||Electronics specialty stores||various||Arduino 328P Compatible||Seeeduino V3 Arduino Uno R3 Diavolino|
|5||$25||E5||1||Electronics specialty stores||various||Arduino stepper shield||Makerslide.com Reactive\Substance Buildlog|
Additional / Commodity Items
There are a number of other items which one may need or will find useful:
- Extra M3 and M5 washers --- these are pricey in low quantities, and are generally useful
- Lock washers (Note especially their suggested use for “Tensioning the Machine” in Assembly troubleshooting) and other miscellaneous hardware, esp. for Belt Anchors
- M5 socket cap screw assortment --- automotive stores usually have a plastic organizer filled w/ various sizes --- saves a lot of time and gas and cash if you do much upgrading
- Zip ties or other fasteners
- Electrical cable/wiring --- 18 or 20 gauge. 4 (or more) conductor 18 gauge security cable is sold in bulk by the foot at most hardware stores, e.g., Home Depot's 18-4 CL3R Security Cbl Shld 1' @ 0.63, Part number 0000-249-865 Ed0345.18.10 <A>, listed in bulk on their site. Also available from All Electronics - Shielded 5 conductor 22 AWG with drain @ 0.33 per foot.
- Cable Management system
- End mills
- Material for an electronic enclosure
- Some way to cool the stepper drivers such as a fan and/or heat sinks
Thread on this here: What else should I have on hand?