- 1 Machines
- 2 Machine Parts & Supplies
- 2.1 International / U.S. / Internet
- 2.1.1 Specialty vendors
- 2.1.2 Specialty hardware stores
- 2.1.3 Hardware stores
- 2.1.4 Electronics suppliers
- 2.1.5 Enclosures
- 2.1.6 Cable Management
- 2.1.7 Spindles
- 2.1.8 End mills
- 2.1.9 Collets
- 2.1.10 Clamps
- 2.1.11 Upgrades
- 2.2 Specialty Local Vendors
- 2.3 Non-Community Vendors
- 2.4 Contract Manufacturers
- 2.1 International / U.S. / Internet
- 3 Materials
- 3.1 International
- 3.2 U.S.
- 3.3 Materials (specialty)
- 3.4 Hardware (specialty)
The ShapeOko 3 is available from the manufacturer and various authorized resellers / distributors]. Plans are on the Shapeoko 3 wiki page, and machines may be self-sourced, so long as they are not sold commercially. (Example of the latter here).
Machine Parts & Supplies
While a number of components are specialty items, many are commodity parts which may be available at mainstream vendors. Some potential vendors include:
International / U.S. / Internet
- Evil Mad Scientist --- DIY and open source hardware
- Makerslide Europe
- Reactive Substance
- Robosavvy (UK)
- Thingibox (Spain)
- damencnc --- (The Netherlands) pages available in Dutch, English, German, French and Spanish.
- dumpsterCNC --- ACME, UN and Metric Components, Trapezoidal Parts, Clamp-on Couplers; and Shaft Collars
- (Fabbmatic) (Germany)
- Go Tronic (France)
- MixShop (Canada)
- Oriental Motor Co., Ltd (Japan, but offices pretty much world-wide)
- Panucatt Devices LLC --- Controllers, 3D Printers and CNC Parts, LCDs, Displays, Sensors, Shields, &c.
- Phidgets (Canada)
- Pololu --- NEMA motors, hobbyist electronics
- RobotDigg (China) --- Notable for having motors w/ Acme screw shafts and other custom parts
- Zapp Automation (UK)
- http://shop.uberclock.com/products/smoothieboard --- also carries separate stepper drivers: http://shop.uberclock.com/products/cw5045
- http://www.cncrouterparts.com 
- http://ratrig.com/ --- (Europe) --- products include V-slot
- http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/  --- formerly http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html
- http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-17-unipolar-stepper-12v-04a-26ncm37ozin-17hs150406s-p-66.html 
- http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motion_Control/Stepper_Systems/Stepper_Motors_-z-_Cables#NEMA_Frame_Size_f=%2223.0%22&start=0 
- http://www.robotshop.com/en/stepper-motors.html 
- http://www.jbcnc.se/ 
Specialty hardware stores
- https://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx 
- http://www.nutty.com/ --- fasteners
- McMasterCarr --- also sells endmills (will not ship to Canada unless one has a corporate account). Good source for G10 and carbon fiber.
- Belts and Pulleys --- see also Belts and Pulleys#Sources
- VXB (bearings)
- FScoupling.com (flexible shaft and other couplings)
- HPC (Europe) --- site is available in English, French and Italian
- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__124__58__Hardware_Accessories-Screws_Bolts_Nuts.html 
- http://www.trimcraftaviationrc.com/  (specializes in stainless steel)
- Orange aluminum
- https://www.roton.com/ --- lead and ball screws 
- Westfield Fasteners (UK) --- sells small quantities shipping to Europe
- Ace Hardware --- check for a store local to you
- True Value --- check for a store local to you
- Home Depot --- the "ship-to-store" option is useful for parts not available locally and doesn't incur shipping charges
- http://www.farmandfleet.com/home-improvement/hardware/building-materials/builders-hardware/#p=3 --- inventory system allows checking stock and actually reserving items for pick-up.
- Radio Shack
- DigiKey (Canada)
- Soigeneris --- also carries milling bits, and other mill and lathe supplies, as well as software
- http://motion.schneider-electric.com/lmd/ --- stepper motors
- http://www.arcus-technology.com/ --- U.S. manufacturer of stepper motors
- http://www.planet-cnc.com/ --- USB micro-controllers
TME (Transfer Multisort Elektronik)
- CableOrganizer.com, LLC --- Specializes in cable management and wiring solutions.
- Tsubaki Dynamic Hose and Cable Carriers
- Think & Tinker / PreciseBits --- vendor of specialized collets and accessories as well as end mills and accessories.
- Centurion Tools LLC --- accepts purchase orders from high schools and colleges (for $75.00 or more)
- https://www.ebay.com/usr/roguesystemsinc 
- FS Tool --- (Canada and U.S.)
- Bits & Bits --- specializes in bits for the jewelry industry
- https://www.endmillsandmore.com/ 
- Harvey Tool --- site has an option for finding a local distributor catalog pdf
- Garr Tool Company
- Tools Today
- RobbJack --- very nice interface for selecting bits --- product pages include basic feed/speed data
- Micro-Mark --- Milling Machine Only Tooling --- a model-making tool company, they have a number of small specialty bits well-suited for use on small mills, including some very affordable fly-cutters for surfacing a spoil board or stock.
- LakeShore Carbide.com --- Full selection of U.S. made, quality end mills at reasonable prices
- https://www.buschmachinetool.com/milling-cutters 
- http://bitsbits.com/ --- decent prices, esp. for 1/8" shank.
- http://www.onsrud.com/ --- available from Lee Valley
- http://drillbitsunlimited.com/ 
- http://t-techtools.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=156 
- http://www.the-carbide-end-mill-store.com/home 
- https://www.cancam.ca/ 
- http://www.fstoolcorp.com/ (listed above)
- http://www.kbctools.ca/  
- Robotshop sells in Canada
- Sorotec (Germany)
- APT (Associated Production Tools) https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/  
- https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutting-tools 
- https://www.cutwel.co.uk/ 
- http://www.drill-service.co.uk/ 
- http://www.europatool.co.uk/ 
- https://www.rennietool.co.uk/ 
- Defunct?  http://www.sherwood-tools.co.uk/ (UK) --- ships to South Africa. Part no SHR-161-6060K: 3mm 4fl carbide end mill
- SuperWorkShop-BitBitWorld (UK)
- https://www.ebay.com/str/carbidetoolsource?rt=nc&_oac=1  https://www.carbidetoolsource.com/wood-router-bits
- https://www.damencnc.com/en/milling-motors/collets/er-20 
- Elaire Corporation --- has custom collets for many varieties of router including the Makita RT0701
- https://ecatalog.hoffmann-group.com/index.html?country=eng_GB_GBP/catalogs/&catalog=90000001#page_814 
- https://www.maritool.com/ --- also sells collet wrenches (sourced in U.S.)
Strategizing on purchases so as to save on shipping and handling is a useful technique to help keep expenses in check.
If all else fails, many items are available on eBay, or Amazon.
There is a separate list of specific vendors on the Upgrade Overview page.
Specialty Local Vendors
Please list specialty local vendors which don't have a sales presence on the internet below by their geography.
- Pacific Fasteners Ltd. --- Burnaby, BC, Canada, locations in Vancouver, Toronto and Seattle
- United Kingdom
- Clerkenwell Screws --- 109 Clerkenwell Road, Clerkenwell London, EC1R 5BY
- United States
- Baynesville Electronics - Towson, MD. Electronics and wires and plugs and tools.
Discussion of this in a European (Portugal) context: https://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5267#p38688
The following vendors sell specialty items related to the ShapeOko, but have not joined the Forums or contributed to the community. Please research carefully before purchasing from them.
- http://shop.myhobby-cnc.de (Ronald Holze) --- offers ShapeOko 1 and 2 Kits to Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark and Italy
- minifab.net --- these people couldn't even be bothered to build a machine to photograph, instead stealing Inventables' photographs and doing an obvious job of airbrushing their logo on.
- Shapeoko 2 kits are available from Robosavvy.
The product originally used two companies for parts, and during the Kickstarter campaign a 3rd company supplied parts.
Materials availability is a tradeoff between price and convenience.
Further considerations include local business practices and shipping costs.
Please list only inobvious / specialty sources. There should be no need to list specialized sources such as lumber yards which are easily found by a search engine (and even have their own specialized search engines: woodfinder.com (U.S.), UK Workshop). Usually sign and glass shops are willing to special-order sheets of material(s).
Here is a list of vendors sorted by geography, along w/ the items which they sell which may be suited for milling:
- Inventables --- small sizes of a wide variety of materials.
- http://www.aquabluemaui.com/ --- mother of pearl
- http://exoticwoodsbb.com/index.html --- Bay Street, St. Michael, Barbados
- http://www.professionalplastics.com/ --- noted as having good prices
- http://estreetplastics.com/ 
- http://www.john-steel.com/ (France)
- http://tole.lametallerie.net/ (France)
- http://www.hindleys.com/index.php/materials/plastics-foam/sheet/engraving-laminate/abet-rigid-engraving-laminate-sheet.html 
- http://www.sorotec.de/shop/index.php/cat/c162_Engraving-material-1-5-Engraving-material-1-5.html 
- aluminiumopmaat.nl --- aluminum bar or plate in the Netherlands
- https://www.aluminiumopmaatgemaakt.be/ 
- https://shop.ibl-raimund.de/Aluminium-oxid/Platten/Feinstgefraest-AlZnMgCu1-5/ 
- https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/ 
- https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/northeast-timber/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= 
Most U.S. hardware and hobby stores will have displays w/ metal stock from KS Engineering.
- http://dbwebbinc.com/ --- epoxy impregnated plywood
- Amazon: 1/8" X 12" X 12" Baltic Birch Plywood Great for Laser, Cnc, and Scroll Saw. 45pc Woodpeckers® --- lowest price thus found for material typically sold in 5'x5' sheets at lumber yards.
- http://www.hardwoodemporium.com/ 
- The Restaurant Store --- HDPE cutting boards in 1/2"--1" thicknesses.
- The Restaurant Store --- HDPE cutting boards in 1/2"--1" thicknesses.
- http://www.weaverind.com/ --- sells graphite blocks used for casting glass and other materials. Yard is open during an annual sale, allowing selection from their scrap piles.
- Industrial Plywood
- Bagdad Lumber, Sawmill and Kiln 2932 Christianburg Rd, Bagdad, KY 40003
Jewelry and exotic materials
In addition to raw materials, projects often need hardware which is more easily purchased than manufactured. While some basic hardware will be available from any hardware store, specialty hardware, esp. for reproductions may have to be ordered from specialty shops.
- https://www.rsonline-privat.de/Products/ProductDetail/Kreuzschlitz-Linsenkopf-Maschinenschraube-Stahl-verzinkt-x-19-049mm-2745193 --- notable for having Imperial hardware in the E.U.
- UK https://www.berger-tools.co.uk/Standard_Parts_For_Clamping__Operating__MacHine_Fixtures/Hand_Knobs_Star_Knobs_Wing__Knurled_Thumb_Screws__Nuts/
- http://www.brusso.com/ --- also does stainless steel
- http://www.windsorbrass.co.nz/ (sold by Woodcraft in the U.S.)
- http://www.tremontnail.com/index.htm --- they also have a http://www.tremontnail.com/naildisplay.htm --- discussion of blacksmith made nails, and critique of the Tremont, as well as clenching technique: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244335-Blacksmith-made-nails-fair-price